To Get Help Now
Click Here
 
Today's Date:

PG&E Settles with California for $70 million Over San Bruno Gas Line Blast

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

San Francisco-based PG&E, owner of California’s largest utility, has reached a settlement with San Bruno over a pipeline explosion that killed eight people, destroyed 38 homes, and damaged 70 others. The pipeline blast occurred in 2010 and is considered the largest in history.

The company confirmed the settlement terms in a regulatory filing, including that they will contribute $70 million to a not-for-profit agency set up for the city to help in blast recovery. PG&E says the money won’t come from insurance or customer rates, Bloomberg Businessweek reported.

PG&E has requested that they be able to collect $222.8 million from customers so they can improve their record-keeping system, which state investigators say don’t currently meet the utility’s regulatory and legal requirements for safety. A report published on the California Public Utilities Commission website said,” PG&E’s recordkeeping was a mess and had been for years,” however the report also says the $222.8 million request is “excessive.”

According to a statement e-mailed to Bloomberg, Executive Vice President of Gas Operations at Pacific Gas & Electric, Nick Stavropoulos said “PG&E has acknowledged the need to improve how we collect, store, access, and share information about our natural gas system,” and is converting its paper records to electronic files, hence the request for additional funds.

 

 

breakinglawsuitnews.com disclaimer: This article: PG&E Settles with California for $70 million Over San Bruno Gas Line Blast was posted on Friday, March 16th, 2012 at 8:04 pm at breakinglawsuitnews.com and is filed under Accident Lawsuits.

« »

Comments are closed.