The parents of 2-year-old Harrison Kothari have “reluctantly” settled their lawsuit with Triad Group and H&P Industries Inc of Hartland, Wisconsin, brought after Harrison contracted and died from a rare bacterial infection connected with the companies’ contaminated medical wipes.
The Kothari’s filed their lawsuit against H&P and Triad in February 2011, after the medical prep wipes were recalled on suspicion of contamination with Bacillus cereus, a rare bacterium. According to MSNBC, an investigation found that the FDA knew of problems with sterilization and contamination at the companies for years, but had failed to take action against them. The firms have since closed and not reopened.
Harrison’s mother Sandra said “I wanted [H&P] to be penalized, and I guess, in a way, they have been,” MSNBC reported. “Personally for me, it’s not because I didn’t want to do it. It was never about the money.” She told reporters that the expense and stress of a trial was not in line with her goal of stopping the companies from distributing the tainted wipes, and to pressure the government for better oversight practices.
At least ten other lawsuits have been filed across the nation alleging that Triad and H&P products have caused illness, infection, and death.