To Get Help Now
Click Here
 
Today's Date:

New York Expands Courts Focus on Medical Malpractice

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Long Island Business News has reported that New York is expanding the approach of using specialized courts to handle the 4,000 medical malpractice lawsuits filed in the state each year. The expansion comes from the success a Bronx judge is having in settling cases early.

New York Chief Administrative Judge Ann Pfau said that using specialized courts was, “proving to be a cost savings to hospitals and directly impacting the indemnity insurance of doctors,” and will be implemented in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan.

Bronx Judge Douglas McKeon started focusing on malpractice lawsuits some 15 years ago, and has since realized over 1,000 settlements. McKeon says he has 12 to 15 cases on his monthly calendar set for intense discussions. He said the program really took off once the city’s Health and Hospitals Corporation, which runs 11 public hospitals, created a claims and law department and explored the options of settling lawsuits earlier instead of later. Since then, the corporation has reached a 95 percent settlement rate.

Judge Pfau will become the coordinating judge of the courts medical malpractice segment on December 1. The new program garnered a $3 million federal grant to train judges in the expansion on medical issues.

 

breakinglawsuitnews.com disclaimer: This article: New York Expands Courts Focus on Medical Malpractice was posted on Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 at 8:28 pm at breakinglawsuitnews.com and is filed under Medical Malpractice Lawsuits.

« »

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.