Michigan State University student Alexsandra Shalayko is filing a lawsuit in Ingham County Circuit Court against Jimmy John’s sandwich restaurant alleging she contracted E.coli from tainted raw clover sprouts on her Turkey Tom sandwich on February 4.
According to the lawsuit, Shalayko began to experience painful gastrointestinal symptoms within 72 hours of eating the sandwich, and was taken to the emergency room on February 10. A CT scan showed she was suffering from severe inflammation of her large intestine, and positive E.coli test results confirmed she was infected. She was admitted to the hospital.
“In America, you don’t expect these types of things to happen,” Shalayko said in a statement. “When you think of food poisoning, you anticipate some discomfort, but this was far more painful than I could’ve imagined.
“I feel fortunate to have had the means to seek medical treatment. Others without health insurance that are victims of foodborne illness may not be so lucky,” MLive reported.
The lawsuit claims that hundreds of people over the past four years have been sickened with salmonella and E.coli from the raw sprouts Jimmy John’s serves. The Centers for Disease Control reported at least 25 people in eight states were sickened by the E. coli outbreak.
The lawsuit seeks at least $25,000 in damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, emotional distress, pharmaceutical expenses and travel related expenses. The suit also seeks restitution for legal costs and fees.