To Get Help Now
Click Here
 
Today's Date:

Former NFL Players File Mass Lawsuit against League over Concussions

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

106 retired NFL players have filed a mass personal injury lawsuit in Philadelphia federal court against the NFL alleging the league had been aware of the serious risks of injury faced by players from head impacts for years and that they downplayed the serious risks and ignored scientific evidence regarding these risks, Fox News reports.

Similar lawsuits have been filed in New York, Miami, and Atlanta. The league hopes to consolidate the lawsuits before a U.S. District Court judge in Philadelphia.

Lead plaintiffs in the lawsuit include former Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Brent Boyd, the only living player who has been diagnosed with the degenerative disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition seen in individuals who have suffered multiple head injuries.

A spokesperson for the league said, “The NFL has long made player safety a priority and continues to take steps to protect players and to advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions,” spokesperson Brian McCarthy said Monday. “The NFL has never misled players with respect to the risks associated with playing football. Any suggestion to the contrary has no merit,” The Associated Press reported.

The lawsuit seeks damages for traumatic brain injuries and neurodegenerative disorders; it also seeks medical monitoring and funds to pay for the care of injured players.

breakinglawsuitnews.com disclaimer: This article: Former NFL Players File Mass Lawsuit against League over Concussions was posted on Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 at 8:46 pm at breakinglawsuitnews.com and is filed under Personal Injury Lawsuits.

« »

Comments are closed.