To Get Help Now
Click Here
 
Today's Date:

Father Sues Whirlpool After Daughter Dies

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

The father of a 2-year-old filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court, Illinois, after his daughter was severely burned  on February 24, 2010 while taking a bath. According to Bryant King’s of Hinckley, Ill,  his daughter was bathing when the water temperature hit 138 degrees.   King was away from home  at the time, and his wife was watching Mikayla when the accident occurred.  When he returned home, King alerted an ambulance and accompanied Mikayla to the hospital.

The lawsuit claims that Whirlpool provided a defective water heater, failed to assess its risks and failed to warn consumers of those risks. King also sued his landlord, who he says did not correct the hot water system, nor did he warn the King family of the defect  once they moved in.

The U.S. Product Safety Commission recommends water heaters be set to 120 degrees, and that exposing a child under the age of four to water temperature of 140 degrees for three seconds can cause third-degree burns.

The lawsuit also states that when King’s daughter Mikayla, arrived at Provena Hospitals dba Mercy Medical Center, Dr. Marc Crescenzo inserted an adult sized intubation tube into her trachea, and that its excessive length punctured her stomach.  Mikayla was transferred to Loyola University Medical Center where she died on April 18, 2010.

Provena and Dr. Crescenzo are being sued for medical malpractice.

 

 

 

 

 

breakinglawsuitnews.com disclaimer: This article: Father Sues Whirlpool After Daughter Dies was posted on Wednesday, May 18th, 2011 at 7:10 pm at breakinglawsuitnews.com and is filed under Medical Device Lawsuits.

« »

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.