To Get Help Now
Click Here
 
Today's Date:

Child Sex Abuse Lawsuit Filed Against Defrocked Priest

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A California man, and former altar boy, now aged 24, has filed a civil lawsuit against a priest who he alleges sexually abused him in the early 2000s in California.

According to the Irish Times, Michael Kelly was defrocked last April by the Californian Diocese of Stockton after he was found guilty by a jury of sexual abuse allegations from the 1980s. Kelly denied the allegations and then went back to Ireland. The diocese settled the case for $3.75 million.

On Tuesday, the former altar boy known only as John CC Doe filed the civil suit saying that he had been under the supervision of Kelly in St. Andrew’s parish, in northern California. The complaint says that Kelly would visit the boys home, often when his parents were not home, and “sexually abuse and harass” John CC Doe in his bedroom.

The lawsuit also names the Californian Diocese of Stockton, as well as Bishop Steven Blaire and Msgr Richard Ryan as defendants, claiming they breached their duty to the plaintiff. The lawsuit says the diocese knew of allegations of child sex abuse against Kelly in the 1970s, yet kept him in a “position of trust and authority,” and ignored a recommendation made after a 1999 psychological evaluation saying that Kelly should not administer to children alone.

The lawsuit accuses the diocese of concealing these allegations made against Kelly to protect its own reputation.

In the suit, the plaintiff says the abuse caused “substantial emotional distress, anxiety, nervousness and fear,” the Irish Times reports.

breakinglawsuitnews.com disclaimer: This article: Child Sex Abuse Lawsuit Filed Against Defrocked Priest was posted on Thursday, September 13th, 2012 at 7:29 pm at breakinglawsuitnews.com and is filed under Personal Injury Lawsuits.

« »

Comments are closed.