A Pennsylvania man has been awarded $2 million by a jury which found two doctors were negligent and their errors during and after a colonoscopy led to a perforated colon and a lifetime of complications.
According to a report from AboutLawsuits.com, Richard McCade received a colonoscopy in January 2008 at Willis Eye Hospital. During the procedure, Dr. Michael Resnick over-inflated McCade’s colon, causing a perforation. This was detected during a CT scan several days after the procedure, after the patient had complained since the end of the colonoscopy about severe pain.
During a follow-up procedure, further errors by Dr. Lawrence M. Wald led to further damage to McCade’s colon. Eventually, McCade was forced to have two feet of his colon removed and still suffers from pain and other discomfort because of the separate incidents of malpractice.
A jury in Philadelphia determined that Resnick is accountable for 60 percent of the damage caused and Wald must supply the other 40 percent of the award.
Resnick unsuccessfully argued that all colonoscopy procedures carry some risk of perforation of the colon, but McCade was able to counter that with a successful argument that his colon was over-inflated during the procedure.